7.22.2009

I made this art out of some junk

S and I appreciate furniture and art made from reclaimed materials, so we recently decided to create some projects of our own using various items we've found at our house.

Here's the little piece of artwork I made for him this week using old rusty nails I collected when we ripped out the lath and plaster to expose our log walls a few months ago.

I thought and thought about what I could make that wouldn't be too over-the-top folksy, as I wanted to avoid anything on the same plane as one of those bean roosters or a summer camp project made from popsicle sticks. Numbers are a pretty modern statement, so I hoped that choice might balance the look a little bit. I'm pretty pleased with myself since I'm not generally skilled or motivated when it comes to making things.

Now I just hope we don't move any time soon!

Materials used:
  • Nails I yanked out of the wall
  • Posterboard
  • Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue
  • Lots of patience
  • Picture frame from Target (not reclaimed, but I needed a modern looking frame that would help with that whole balance thing)
S also made me a really awesome piece of reclaimed furniture last week as well. (Hint: you can see a sliver of it in the picture above.) Don't worry - his project will get its own post soon. It is so freaking good (much better than mine, I won't hesitate to admit) that it deserves some special attention, so I'm waiting for some good lighting to take a picture that will do it justice.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I love simple yet charming things, and I think that describes your piece perfectly! Good job! I fail everytime I aim for creativity. I have so many ideas in my head, I just have a hard time making them a reality. I love researching online and going to the store and finding neat ideas, and I think to myself why can't I think of that?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!