8.25.2009

Refined Pallets

I worked the night shift at the Mead factory for three summers in college, paying for my tuition with paper cuts, hard work and sexual harassment. (Ahh, memories...) I learned a lot of valuable life lessons for sure -- but as I packed box after box of freshly minted notebooks and stacked them onto splintery pallets, never once did I consider the pallet's potential as home decor. Until now.

Pallets have been making the rounds on design blogs lately, and because I'm cheap and don't mind a little sanding, this is a fad I can get behind.

Simple, serene and surprisingly inviting. (Sandbox Studio)
This has been featured everywhere, and with good reason. Coolest nursery ever. (Ashley Ann Photography)
Painted white with a more sophisticated vibe. (Apartment Therapy)An unexpected and beautiful non-bed idea. (Remodelista)
Before I try any of this myself I want make sure the pallets I use are free from any of the unsafe chemicals that are typically used to treat them. Anyone have any ideas about where I can find safe or otherwise untreated pallets?

3 comments:

  1. You could have your parents check at that blue building along 522, right before Tops. Aren't they a pallet place?

    ~Lace

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about some of that old fencing material?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points, guys. That old fencing is definitely going to be put to good use somehow! And Lace - I forgot about that pallet place. I'm not sure how that's possible since I used to drive past it EVERY DAY and even worked next door... haha sad. I'll have to get my dad to do some investigating there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!