3.23.2010

Tree Ring Art

Though it's way out of my price range, I have admired this relief print of a tree stump, titled Hemlock 82, by Bryan Nash Gill on Ashes and Milk for a really long time.

I think this giant 52" x 38.5" print would look amazing in our theoretical dining room, which will someday soon have two exposed log walls and an awesome rustic modern feel. I'd try making one myself, but I fear this technique might be well beyond my artistic capabilities.

This is the description of the print on Ashes and Milk:
Through relief printing and a laborious rubbing technique Bryan created the print Hemlock 82. At the grand size of 52" long x 38.5" wide the actual diameter, texture and pattern of this tree section is gorgeously translated onto paper. Ink is rolled out and a piece of handcrafted washi paper is placed over the print block. Pressing little by little with his fingertips, Bryan imprints the texture of the wood on the surface of the paper.

Bryan created the Hemlock 82 exclusively for Ashes & Milk as a limited edition of 12. Each edition is unique, capturing a different stage of the tree decomposing. We are offering this print unframed.
See pictures and read more about the process here. It's quite interesting!

Note: We're taking a short hiatus on any major renovation projects for a few weeks. We'll be doing little things and finishing up existing projects (which I'll be sure to post about), but we're tuckered out and need a break from the big stuff for a bit. Then this spring/summer we'll be painting the board & batten siding and starting on the kitchen! Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. I love that print too!! Maybe you could find a picture of it and just put it in a nice frame?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!