8.29.2011

Pneumonia, an Earthquake, Childbirth and a Hurricane

What a week we had -- one of the most amazing and memorable weeks of my entire life! I am blessed beyond measure and overcome with gratitude to be tucked in safely at home with my two loves.



We welcomed our sweet baby girl Johnnie Keturah into the world at 6:24am on Wednesday, August 24. I'll share our delivery adventure in a little more detail later, but she was in my arms just under 3 hours after I had my first contraction. We almost didn't make it to the hospital in time! I guess the earthquake stirred her into action and broke S's fever just in time for him to join us in the delivery room.




At birth she was 6lb 15oz and 19 & 3/4 inches long. She has a dimple on each cheek when she smiles -- which just kill me -- and lots of dark hair. So far her favorite pastimes include sleeping on her dad's chest, making sweet squeaking noises and snuffling for snacks. Her favorite person is her mama (mostly for the snacks!) but her best friend is her daddy, who is excellent at kisses and giving baths and changing diapers. 

Life is good! We're all doing well and are thanking God for our health and safety. But lest you think Miss Johnniecakes is all sugar and snuggles, I leave you with this:



She also has some feist in her. Love it. S got me a new camera as a baby gift, so rest assured there will be more photos of her coming your way as I continue experimenting with it. (The first image in this post was taken with the new camera.) Okay I'm off to feed her and stare at those beautiful dimples!

13 comments:

  1. CONGRATS! And yes, I need to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnnie! So so sweet! I was wondering how you guys were faring with all the excitement of Mother Nature. Think of the fun stories you can tell Johnnie about the week she was born. Cannot wait to hear more. Congratulations to your new family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! She's beautiful!!! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is a super fast delivery - glad to hear you are all doing well! Your little girl is precious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, I hope to have a delivery as fast as yours. The girl is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love Love Love Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the world beautiful girl! :) I can tell you are already loving being a mommy so much. It sounds like you guys have settled right in... I love hearing about it and can't wait to hear whatever you want to share in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new little family! Johnnie is so beautiful, and that picture of S smiling at you taking the picture is PRICELESS! I'm so glad everyone is doing well, and I too cannot wait to hear more details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! She's just beautiful and I'm so happy for you. Love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. EK,S&J:

    God has Blessed you greatly. Beautiful girl, lovely little face, nice proportions, sweet sweet sweet. We don't see much of S, but I see enough to know he is well pleased. May God Bless you both with the wisdom from His Word to raise her in His light.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto! Can't wait to hear the whole story and see many more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been checking in daily since your last post waiting for news of Baby Johnnie's arrival. Congratulations! Anxious for many more photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful baby girl! Life is good. Congratulations you two! She's stunning!
    xoxo,
    Cat Alford

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!