6.01.2015

MASTER BEDROOM

The bed isn't made very nicely, but since I have a newborn even this is a miracle.
Whenever people ask whether we'll miss our house when we move, I invariably say I will miss certain things about it, particularly the master bedroom. I love the high ceilings, the exposed logs and beams, and the 150-year-old brick chimney -- all the best elements of this house tucked into one space. This room is just calm and peaceful, and I will surely miss waking up in here in the mornings.

I took this picture the day before I gave birth -- hence the slightly swollen feet. :)
It helps that the only furniture in this room is the bed, the nightstand shelves, and a small white dresser that we brought in for changing the baby. (Willa's Rock and Play Sleeper is easily folded up and stowed under our bed when necessary, so I don't count that as furniture.) Since our clothes are stored in other rooms, there's really nowhere for clutter to accumulate, and though I sometimes wish we had a TV, it has a much better vibe without one. Personal preference confirmed: sparse is good in a bedroom.

We've been sleeping in this room for about 15 months, and the novelty has not worn off for me. I'd say that's a sign we did it right.

8 comments:

  1. EK:

    Anti-clutter for sure. Also anti-mouse, anti-bug etc. I believe that most would see the brick stack as a detractor, but I don't see it that way. There's a story and history there. Will you be leaving the headboard for the new family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved your entire master suite. Definitely made me fall in love with the vaulted ceilings and old barn beams. We want to add them in our new master bedroom so I may need you to give me a tutorial for Jas once that time comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 05, 2015

    Hi there! I have been following your blog for a few months and love what you have done with this house! I bought an 1880's log house in Manchester MD last year and am knee deep in restoration right now. Just wanted to let you know you have done a beautiful job. I hope you leave the blog active even after the sale so I can refer back for ideas and inspiration :-)
    A.F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful room...the simplicity is relaxing. I agree, the TV would be nice, but then you'd need a fridge and dishes, and well, you'd essentially have a studio apt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful room...the simplicity is relaxing. I agree, the TV would be nice, but then you'd need a fridge and dishes, and well, you'd essentially have a studio apt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. I like the simplicity. I'm not sure I would like everything out of the room, like clothes and etc, but it is definitely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Thank you for sharing. Hope to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!