2.09.2009

A Hidden Gem

I'm a little late in posting this, but several weeks ago we removed the false mantel and countless layers of plaster from the brick chimney that rises up through the center of the original log section. The huge fireplace it's built on is still in tact in the basement.

The chimney was in good structural shape, and after a quick corn blasting it looks fantastic. (Corn blasting is the process they use for cleaning and resurfacing logs... and apparently bricks.)

I'm psyched about this chimney and very hopeful that its counterpart in the kitchen cleans up as beautifully. I just love the color. I am getting a little tired of all of the white painted brick you see these days. I know it's not trendy to leave your brick unpainted, but some brick is just meant to be seen!

Here's the "before" picture of the upstairs portion, just after we tore out the attic. That's not an optical illusion--it does slant diagonally toward the top to prevent downdrafts. A few bricks need replacing, but I like that it will add some personality to the master suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!