11.30.2010

Rug Pillow Redux

In case you were wondering, yes I did finish the Martha Stewart rug pillow I started making two weeks ago. (Some projects do actually get finished around here once in awhile.) I had planned to make two big pillows, but one was enough for our bed (they're big). So I used the two leftover rugs to make two small envelope-style pillows. So easy! They took about 15 minutes each to make, once I got them pinned how I wanted them.


A couple tips: I simply folded one standard (albeit thin) pillow in half for the insert -- no special size needed. Martha recommends stitching down each corner to secure the flap, but my pillow seemed to want to bulge in the middle so I tacked it in 3 places along the fringe instead to keep everything in place.

I don't know if I'll get around to decorating much for the holidays (keep in mind I have a refrigerator in my living room) but these lil pillows bring some warm coziness to the room. The perception of warmth is very important right now -- we haven't turned on the heat yet because we're in the middle of some duct work. A little space heater has become our best friend. (It got down to 26 degrees this week.) Brr!!!

Oh, and when I inevitably get tired of the pillows, I can undo the stitches and use them as actual rugs. Brilliant.

3 comments:

  1. awesome idea! just stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. So great! I'm hoping to make an IKEA trip soon. This may be on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Ned -- we can't have delicate things around our house. Everything must be able to withstand industrial cleaners... partly because S lives there and partly because people like you come to visit.

    I had to delete your comment though because you used S's real name, dork! He likes to keep his anonymity. Probably because he's embarrassed to admit he lives in our house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!