11.28.2010

Amish Dry Goods


Some of my favorite places to shop when we visit my family in Pennsylvania are the Amish dry goods and tack shops. There are so many useful (and cheap!) treasures to be found in Amish stores.

On Friday we went to Amos Peachy's saddle and tack shop to buy thick leather strapping (9 feet for $6!) for some canvas bags my mom, my sister-in-law and I were making. While we were waiting for Amos to cut the straps, I spotted this little leather wallet and couldn't bring myself to put it down.

It's 6" long and 3.5" tall, and it has two interior pockets and one zip pouch. When you hook the chain to itself, it turns into a rugged little clutch! I've been on the lookout for months for a durable, affordable leather wallet like this -- something that will look better and better with age. Billykirk and Brook Farm General Store have similar ones for around $115 each. Mine was marked $12.95! I can't believe I hesitated for about 30 seconds before buying it. It's exactly what I've been wanting.

I also thought these horse blankets (only $10.50 each) would make nice 3x5ish rugs in the right room. I didn't buy one (if you read my rant last week you'll know why) but I will be keeping that idea in mind for later. 


Going to the Amish stores was much more pleasant than fighting the Black Friday crowds everywhere else. I'd much rather go to a good hardware store than a mall any day anyway -- there are so many truly useful things that can be used in so many different ways. I've come to realize that while I appreciate beauty, I tend to be even more pragmatic. In most cases, I'm not one to sacrifice function for form. If something can be practical and attractive, I'm sold.

By the way, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I love holidays, and it's my favorite one. Did anyone score anything good on Black Friday?

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous place - what a shame there isn't an Amish population in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $12.95 for that wallet? And it's real leather? I need to go shopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    It was nice to see you at our OPEH HOUSE. We have a lovely valley that serves the local people....not tourist. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself while you were here.

    Much love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard an interview on the radio with some sociologist who studies Amish and Mennonite culture in Lancaster county. Half of the segment talked about how tourism in Lancaster affects the Amish both positively and negatively--it was interesting to me because it's so different from the Amish in the Valley! Like you said--the Valley is so local, and fortunately not a tourist attraction. I can't imagine what it would be like for tourists to flock in like that, peering in the school windows and staring and treating people like mascots... Tourism also leads to higher prices on lower-quality stuff--not the quality, useful things we're used to seeing in Amish stores. Not many people get to live in a such a quiet, beautiful place -- Maryland has some beautiful farmlands, but it's just not the same. It's always nice to go home! Really looking forward to being there for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!