2.04.2011

Moat.

In addition to approaching the house from the side instead of the front (whose idea was that?), this driveway of ours also occasionally serves as a moat to keep out winter intruders. (And us.) We got some snow last week, then we got a bunch of rain on top of that. The snow on either side traps the water in the giant dip in the driveway, so we get this giant arctic puddle. 

I didn't measure it, but I'd say it's a good 2 feet deep at the very least. The first day it appeared, it wasn't as deep as it is now, so I drove through it with my car. It was deep enough that some of the cold, iceberg-filled water splashed up on the hot engine and really freaked me out. When I looked in the rearview, I swear I saw a narwhal surfacing in my wake. We've been parking along the road ever since.

Our new driveway (which will approach the house from the front like most good driveways do) won't take much to finish, so this should be the last year we deal with all this driveway drama. Thank goodness. We just need spring to come.

Speaking of, is it spring yet? Our winter has been so mild compared to almost everywhere else in the country, so I can't complain too much. But that darn groundhog got me all excited that spring was around the corner, and now I am a little impatient.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that moat is impressive! I am so ready for the spring too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!