5.26.2011

Curb Appeal (?)

We have some big decisions to make ASAP about the front of the house. It was difficult to finalize some aspects of the plan before we got to this point for a variety of reasons that I will not go into for the sake of everyone's sanity. (Suffice it to say, occasionally I still wonder if this house was a huge mistake.)

But here we are -- mulling over some of the biggest things that will affect the curb appeal. Screw this up, and we should've just left the house in its original funky state. The pressure is on.

Here's the latest contender for the plan, which I drew rather roughly with Sketchup. For the record, Sketchup was not as intuitive for me as I hoped, so please squint a little and be forgiving. We're looking at the overall picture here.


I wish we had the budget to consult an architect, but alas we're on our own. Most of my creative energy is going toward baby growing, so I don't have anything left in the tank right now to fully describe everything that's going on in this picture. But I will address any questions in the comments section, so ask away!

Check back in a few days for the final plan... until then I will taking it easy and praying that we make the right decisions. After all this, we'd rather not have a terribly awkward looking house. It'll never be totally without quirks and oddities, but neither will any of us I guess!

5 comments:

  1. One thing that appeals to me in thinking about my own facade is to carry the log theme to the peaked gable above the front door with vertical positioned logs, which might give a more unified presentation. You could make your life easier and use half logs, adhered to the underlying sheet rock or plywood or whatever you are using, with chinking in between. I've seen vertical logs in photos of cabins, and I'm still trying to decide if it is going to work well. You have the red boards on the left side of the house to think about, so maybe it won't matters as much, or if you have already completed your gable it might not be worth it. You can find some image examples if you Google enough. My concept sketch for my own facade is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FjsSbWFms4GK9BDF2sxfpA?feat=directlink. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea John! We're thinking of doing a hip roof instead of a gable, because when we drew up the gable roof it looked a little weird and "chunky" on our house. The porch in general has been the biggest headache to design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks nice. Are you planning on covering/replacing the stone foundation with brick? I like the stone and how it relates to the logs, but I can see how that might not be possible if you are building out the entryway. I think it is going to look really cozy and sweet, and will make for the best before and after ever. Also, I think adding landscaping in front of the house will tie it all together. :-) (I know you're not there yet, but it will look great!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny! Only the original log section has a stone foundation; the rest of the house is plain cement. We are going to cover the cement foundation with brick. The stone we'll leave in place because it's lovely! We've looked high and low for stone that matches the original foundation, but all we can find (which is VERY LIMITED) is astronomically, unconscionably expensive. So brick became the 2nd best option.

    Since the chimneys are brick, we're matching the brick to them. I wanted to do a stone porch, but again -- the stones just aren't accessible. So we are thinking a brick porch might help to tie it all in with the chimneys and foundation. Like I said in the previous comment -- this porch has been SO HARD to design. So many limitations and challenges!

    Oh, how I can't wait to landscape and have some vegetation growing! I think it will help tremendously too. Even grass would be nice at this point, let alone trees, shrubs and flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think about the chimneys - that will tie in very nicely with your brick foundation. :-) Once you get to the landscaping plan - add some large stones for interest and everything will come together beautifully. :-) Cant wait to see it all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!