6.01.2011

Wanted: Old Dresser

I've been scouring Craigslist for a dresser for the baby's room (though she doesn't really have any clothes yet) that I can use for storage and as a changing table while she's small. I saw this room on Ohdeedoh the other day and really loved the painted dresser (with that sleepy cat resting on it!)


This is exactly the kind of piece I'm looking for, but so far I haven't had any luck in finding it. The main criteria are that it a) has nice lines and is not clunky or heavy, and b) is beat up enough to require painting instead of refinishing. I don't want to ruin a nice piece of furniture by painting it and screwing hooks into the side. Basically I like the idea of a beat-up painted piece because I remember not being very contientious about my furniture as a little kid...

According to the dresser's rehabber -- L. of L to the Third -- it was just sitting in a friend's basement and had scars all over it from being used as a sawing board. So it was free! (What luck!) Here are the before and after views, from L.'s blog:

So far I haven't seen anything on Craigslist that is in the kind of condition that would warrant patching and painting like this instead of sanding and refinishing. Most of what I see are heavy oak or maple pieces that are extremely clunky and imposing. But I'm not giving up! At least not for a few more weeks, when the need for a place to put things becomes a little more urgent.

If anyone happens to see anything like this in your travels, please let me know! In the meantime, I should probably stop thinking about getting stuff ready for the baby and actually start doing it, huh?

7 comments:

  1. I'm looking for one too. But I want to transition from changing table to tall chest of drawers. Good luck!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the price is or if it's even what you're looking for but the local antique barn has something similar... http://www.oldebarncentre.com/2008/100_1543.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one we got... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51okBCfCuUL.jpg

    Not free but really affordable! I plan on keeping it around for a long time to use for each child. I have an antique dresser that I plan to switch over to once they are a little bit older. It is white with gold applique so we will definitely be refurbishing it for a little boy one day!! Gosh that little nursery in the picture is so darling! I love baby things... my baby is never allowed to grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I forgot to mention we switched out the hardware for fun, striped knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lace, that seems just about right! I like the style a lot. I just need to go home and look at the shops there, because everything is expensive down here -- even junk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you enjoyed my before and after of the chest of drawers! I see pieces like that from time to time, the most often location being thrift stores where the pieces are usually just the right amount of "worn" to warrant a total makeover. (I'm totally with you on not painting wood unless it's beyond the point of saving.) Good luck in your quest! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!