12.12.2011

Checking in

I wasn't able to take photos this weekend, but here are some updates:
  • The kitchen is about 90% painted. I love it. (There is still some cutting in to do, and some trim.) Hopefully S will have some time this week to finish it up, but it's a busy time of year at his job so let's not pressure him too much.
  • I found a 5' steel prep table for our center island on craigslist for a pretty good deal, so S went and picked it up on Saturday. Ideally he'd like a longer one -- 6 or 7 feet -- since we have the space, but we can always sell this one if we find a bargain on the one he really wants.
  • We had to take down and return our range hood to have it replaced (doesn't it just figure?), as there was an issue with the electrical panel. However, the folks at Proline were super helpful and shipped a replacement almost immediately. Can't beat good customer service.
  • In addition to two big pendant lights over the center island, we have electricity all set up for a single pendant over the baking table (in front of the big front window.) Here are the two final contenders, the first very industrial and the other very rustic:

They're both about the same price, so I'm torn... The two lights that will hang over the workstation in the center of the room look a lot like this white one with the cage:


Which light do you like better for our kitchen -- the industrial one from Barn Light Electric, or the rustic one from Junkyardlighting's etsy shop?

16 comments:

  1. I think I'm partial to the junkyard light. It just has so much character!
    We picked out tile for the new mudroom yesterday and hopefully that will go down this weekend. Can't beat major progress in renovations to give you a good dose of Christmas cheer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am torn too. My forst instinct was the industrial one, but the rustic one dooooooees have so much character. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both neat options. I think the rustic one might help add some warmth to the space? The industrial one is awesome, but feels a bit cold perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan, that's pretty much exactly how I'd describe what's happening in my brain about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The industrial one goes with the other ones you are going to hang

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the industrial ones...seems like it would go with the counters

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote option number 1. I think it goes better with the other fixtures you have picked out, and is a slightly different style, which will contribute to the eclectic look you're working in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree the industrial one fits much better with the white ones over the island. It is a more classic style IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them both! And since everything you do ends up being golden to me, I'm excited to see what you choose.

    How exciting that everything is coming along! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. EK:

    ........ The the one on the right is made from a kitchen thing, ..... can't beat that, can you?
    I'm for the strainer lookin' light, but ya got-a also have the 1940's lookin' bulb.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having had industrial kitchen envy for nigh on 17 years now, I'm for the option on the left. Complements all of the other industrials in your house. Love the one on the right, but it says country, and you haven't been moving in that direction to date.(Although it is a bit reminiscent of that wire coat hanger wreath you made a Christmas or so ago that I totally loved.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the industrial one. However, with either lamp I would be concerned with an open bulb over a work space. I prefer a shaded light that directs the light down and does not draw your attention to the bulb. That may just be a personal preference, however. They both are very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. John Duke, good point. I had the same thought at one point -- but I'm holding out hope that one of these will work. That's why I haven't pulled the plug and bought one yet. I'm going to see what the lighting situation is like when the other lights go in (soon I hope), and then I'll see if I need a more direct option. Hopefully not, but I haven't entirely ruled it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. coming out of google reader lurking to say: the industrial light! the barnyard one is... too barnyard, for me at least. besides, with all the wood and brick and texture in your kitchen, i think you could go 100% industrial in fixtures and still have a great mix.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are both too expensive for what they are. Whichever you pick you can diy. Search 'metal egg basket' on ebay for the one on the right, and go here for the cage of the left: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZBL4I6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_g60_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WY2E7MT1T88KF4XWJ22&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

    Put either of those together with the single socket pendant from west elm:
    http://www.westelm.com/products/bulb-cord-set-w606/?pkey=clighting-under-100

    You can make either one for under $50.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your kindness in attempting to save me some $$$ anonymous! I am a sucker for a deal, that's for sure. I haven't bought anything yet and would love to DIY something but am not sure I have the time. Fortunately we don't do much in a big hurry around here so that might be a possibility at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!