5.14.2015

THE BIG REVEAL: MASTER BATHROOM

Ez has decided his favorite room in our house is the master bathroom. It's a tough space for me to photograph with my limited skills and the lack of natural light (this room's biggest drawback), but I think you can get the idea...



 Some fun facts:

  • The bathtub was a craigslist score for $125. (Thanks for picking it up for us, dad!) It was originally painted bright yellow. 
  • The swing arm light above the tub is from Restoration Hardware.
  • The mirror was a free hand-me-down from Ez's aunt. I had looked high and low for a mirror for that oddly shaped space, and nothing seemed to fit right. Then I yanked this one out of the guest room a whim. Perfect! 
  • The marble countertop is a remnant from the bar at the new Petit Louis restaurant in Columbia, Maryland. Ez's dad did the plumbing for the restaurant and bought the leftover piece from the tile guys. 
  • All the rustic wood trim was salvaged from various parts of our house.



If we were staying in this house, I'd hang a pretty piece of art in an antique frame above the tub and get an interesting rug for the floor, because I recognize that it's seriously lacking in color and personality at the moment. And I'd continue asking for the skylight I had really wanted in here. (We couldn't add any new windows because our log guy said it would compromise the house's structural integrity.)





I really love getting ready in here every morning! Our new home's bathroom is cute and retro with original black and white tile, but it's a tiny space. This is one room I'll definitely miss when we move, and one we're really proud of. It's been a very long time coming, and I'm thrilled to share it with you!

And, as a reminder of how far we've come, here are the few pictures I have from "before":

There used to be a staircase going from what is currently the dining room up to this room. We took out the stairs and closed up the hole, and that area is now the bathroom sink and shelving. 

This is my mother-in-law, and the wall behind her is where the bathtub is now. The 6' ceilings had to go. 


Not the best angles for comparison, but then again there's no comparison! 

9 comments:

  1. EK:

    You've created a wonderful blank canvas for someone else. You'll make a sale in just days!
    That "S" guy is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that S... I think I'll keep him around!

      I hope you're right, bittersweet as that will be! Our realtor is a log home owner as well, by sheer coincidence, and she loves the place which is nice! I know the right buyer is out there -- we're just hoping they are currently house hunting in our neighborhood. :)

      Delete
  2. That was worth the wait! :) It looks so awesome. You have absolutely created a beautiful space for a new family to call home.
    Will you be sharing pictures of the new house? Totally get it if you want to keep something private. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking about that, and I haven't decided how much I'll show the new house... maybe a few photos here and there, but probably not a floor plan or every nook and cranny like I did with 3820. It's move-in ready, so I won't have much renovating to blog about! In fact, I don't even know what will happen to this blog. The new owners might not want their house's history archived so publicly... so I might have to change things up depending on their preferences. We'll see what happens. Change is good!

      Delete
  3. I love this bathroom soo much! I am so sad to hear you are leaving, but I totally get it. I'm excited to see all the rooms styled before you move out. It's a bittersweet home tour as you said in your last post, but I'm looking forward to one last set of pics to ogle over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks amazing! I really love the sink and shelves area - such a perfect use of that space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference! I love what you guys have done and am looking forward to seeing what's in store with your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it has been a while, but do you remember the bathroom wall color?
    Everything looks so wonderful!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is Valspar's Homestead Resort Jefferson White. We used it throughout the house, and I still love it. It's the perfect creamy off-white that doesn't look dirty or yellow.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!