5.04.2010

Rustic Industrial Kitchens

Kitchen planning has officially begun! I'm putting my 10th grade architectural drafting class skills to good use and starting to map things out. On top of all his other good qualities, S is a really fantastic cook and has always wanted a professional kitchen with a huge prep sink, a professional range and open shelving instead of traditional cabinets. So with this in mind, we're drawing up plans and looking for deals. They say the kitchen is the heart of the home, so we're taking extra care to make it a great place to cook and hang out.

As I've mentioned before, this is our favorite inspiration kitchen with its glazed concrete floor, clean feel and industrial appliances. So far it looks like our layout will be rather similar:


We're currently looking at auctions and restaurant closings for deals on sinks. I'm not sure if we have the space for S's dream: the 3-bay with 2 drain boards. But maybe something smaller like this could work (we even have a similar row of lockers if we wanted to recreate the exact look!):

For S, the more stainless steel the better... but I'd really love a white marble work area to roll out dough (I'm a terrible cook, but I'm good at baking!), and I'm also looking for ways to add some rusticity to flow with the rest of the house as well as more inviting touches that will make people want to gather 'round:

A little wood and plant life really add texture and warm things up... Our stove will butt against an old brick fireplace, so the photo below is particularly interesting to me. I just wish I could see the other angles of the room.

A few built-in cabinets (instead of a whole kitchen full) add character instead of a clunky feel:

And here, the room is so airy the cabinets and ducts don't feel at all bulky or oppressive:
We will have one exposed log wall in our kitchen, so that will automatically add some warmth and rusticity to the room. I'm very excited to see how it will look:
That's a lot of pictures for one post, I know... and I have many more in a folder in my inspiration files. I'm looking closely at all of them to see what ideas I can piece together. We want our kitchen to be unique, but it's nice to not have to reinvent the wheel -- especially where layout and function are concerned. I'm studying the "work triangle" and all of that, and I happened to hear an interesting and relevant interview with designer Thomas O'Brien on the Splendid Table over the weekend. All of the sourcing and pricing and sketching is taking a lot of work, but I will figure out this puzzle. I am confident that it's going to be an awesome kitchen both in form and function -- and that we can do it for less than you might think.

Only 3 more weeks until S's sister is good and hitched, and then we'll have the time to begin the actual work. That feels both a little too far away and a little too close at this point!

Image sources: 1. Remodelista, 2. Simply Decorated, 3. Ill Seen, Ill Said, 4. Martha Stewart via evergreenhill on Flickr, 5. Design-Crisis, 6. The Urban Farmhouse, 7. AT

UPDATE: If you like this post, follow my "Rustic Industrial Kitchens" board on Pinterest!

9 comments:

  1. Emily Kate:

    I'm with "S" on the stainless. I didn't get any tho', except on the appliances 'cause Janie over-ruled.

    Those big stoves and such are very expensive. Will you be using gas or electric?

    Emily, .... "rusticity", ... really?, you're makin' that up !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with! I have a 2 bay porcelain sink with drainboards and I love it! And our countertops are stainless, which I also really love. They are 60 years old and they practically look new, just a couple dents and dings. Just a heads up though, my parents just put stainless steel countertops in their kitchen and they cost $7,000! Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel- We already have a 6-burner Viking rangetop, which we bought about a year ago for a major steal. We'll have to get a wall oven(s). We have a propane hookup. And rusticity is too a real word!!!

    Oonafey- Love how those old stainless countertops hold up and even look kinda better over time. I wish our kitchen had come with something similar--but ours was totally empty when we bought the place. We're scouring auctions and closeouts, and we're doing all the work ourselves, so I'm hoping it comes nowhere near $7k for our countertops! Ouch indeed. If so, we'll have to get creative with other solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any of those kitchens you pick are gunna be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last "rustic" kitchen the best! Cute blog btw, I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the rusticity idea that you guys are going with! I love the mix of old and new. That ridiculously awesome Viking range is going to look fantastic against the old fire place.

    Make sure you incorporate some sort of a storage pantry for dry food, etc. You may not think you need it now, but (especially) once kids come along you will definitely need the space. A pantry would also give you the clean/neat look you're going for, keeping everything tucked away out of sight.

    Suggestion #2, be careful with how much open shelving you have. Cooking utensils, pots and pans, etc could get pretty dusty and icky left out. Don't get me wrong, I love open shelving, too. Just make sure you don't plan on storing all of your cooking supplies out in the open...just something to think about.

    I love your main inspirational kitchen and the last one. Plants and flowers will bring color to the first kitchen and really pop against the white and stainless surroundings. When I look at the last picture it makes me feel warm and cozy. I love them both :)

    I can't wait until you start!

    *did you decide on a color for the siding yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lace- Good points. I haven't decided whether the space under the stairs is going to be a pantry, which would be pretty cool, or if that's where the wall oven/s will go. I need to do some measuring and check on the building codes. I'm also going to talk to everyone's favorite woodshop teacher (dad!) about building a nice big pantry cupboard as well. He likes me, so maybe I can twist his arm...

    S mostly just doesn't like upper cabinets. I don't like to dust more than necessary, so we have to come to a compromise!

    For the siding, we're pretty certain we're going to do a barn red! Man, it's going to be a busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    this looks like a great kitchen update - simply the right home improvement products put together the right way.www.SabinesHome.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog! Been reading for awhile now and you've inspired me to start my own! We are building a house and I essentially wanted to do a rustic industrial exterior, but its a bit harder and more time consuming than I thought! Anyway, just wanted yo tell you that I enjoy reading about your old house! Thanks! Pippa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!