12.16.2010

Bummer.

For the past month or two, I've been making a conscious effort to cut down the amount of harmful chemicals and products I've been slathering on my face and body. I've always had extremely sensitive, angry skin, and the hope was that switching to more natural plant-based products would calm it down and result in fewer reactions, rashes and breakouts this winter.

For example, instead of using a petroleum-based moisturizer on my face--whose moisturizing benefits were somewhat overshadowed by the clogged pores it caused--I did some research and started using "Lavender Choices" organic body oil by The Enterprising Kitchen (TEK) every night before bed.


Slathering oil all over my face did feel strange and illogical at first, but it is made from a combination of natural noncomedogenic oils (meaning they don't clog pores) like jojoba and sweet almond. It took a week or two for my face to adjust to the change in products, but after a several weeks I am really happy with how much healthier my skin looks and feels. It's less angry, and some days it even thinks about glowing a little.

Unfortunately, I just learned this morning that TEK shut down last week due to a lack of funding. Sadness! Not only am I losing my favorite new (and very affordable) skincare product, but TEK was a non-profit dedicated to empowering low-income women in Chicago with life and job skills training. I hate to see the failure of a company that puts out great products while helping others at the same time.


Looks like I'm going to have to buy up whatever's left at my source then try to find a different option at the local health foods store, which never seems to be open when I want to go in. Bummer.

Does anyone else have any natural skin care products or cosmetics they use and recommend? (Or any they don't recommend?) I was emailing my blog friend Jen about it this week, and I know we'd both love to hear what other people use and love.

4 comments:

  1. that stinks!! so frustrating when you find something that was working for you and then it disappears.

    I do like the Indigo Wild products I've used so far, but it's only been about 3 weeks - so I want to see how my skin reacts long term. They have a facial oil but it's $18 for 2 ounces (though, you only use 2 drops at a time - so I guess it will last a very long time).

    You also might want to check out the book "Make Your Place" by Raleigh Briggs. It's a small book, self-published at www.microcosmpublishing.com - he has formulas in there for making your own facial oil, lotions, shampoos, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUMMMER :(

    Reading this has really put my skincare to the forefront of my brain at the moment. Being pregnant, your skin goes through some MAJOR changes. I wish I could say positive changes, but man oh man, my face has seen much better days. Not to sound spoiled, but I NEVER got acne before I became pregnant. Now, not only do I get breakouts but they leave ugly scars. I can't use regular acne creams that might clear it up quickly because of the chemicals so I'm reall up a creek at the moment. On a good day, I might just look half-sick, sleep-deprived and puffy. On a bad day... well let's not go there. So seriously, I would LOVE to hear about a good skin care line that is safe and productive. Where is this "glow" that everyone talks about?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linds, you have the most beautiful and glowing complexion of anyone I know! I'm sure it can't be as bad as you think!! And besides, it won't be long until you're back to normal -- with a sweet lil boy in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use simple aloe vera gel for everything: lotion, face moisturizer, hair gel. It's relatively easy to find no matter what grocery store you're in, reduces four bottles in the bathroom to one, and a natural (or at least a natural-ish) product.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!