6.15.2011

Losing Battles

You can't win 'em all. In the spirit of keeping it real, I like to cover both the victories and defeats of our life at 3820 on this blog. So today I just wanted to share some of the small battles I've been losing lately...



1. Me vs. stink bugs. If you don't live in a stink bug-infested area, count yourself lucky. (That's one lurking in the bottom left of the picture above -- staring at our family photos in mocking.) Admittedly they aren't quite as pestilent as they were earlier this spring, but they're still very gross. They smell when you kill them and are attracted to their own scent... if one creeps into your laundry basket and you wash him, all your clothes will have to be washed again because of the permeating smell (and the brown staining)... they fly ungracefully in awkward circles and divebomb you at any given opportunity (including/especially when you're sleeping)...  and they are destroying crops in our area like crazy. And also they happen to love congregating en masse all over our house. We are constantly sucking up their big, creepy armored bodies in the vacuum. Yuck.

2. Me vs. pollen. Though I never really suffered from seasonal allergies as a kid, I am definitely allergic to grass pollen now, no doubt about it. Mowing the grass (on the riding mower) is one of the few major contributions to the household upkeep that I'm still able to make in my delicate state, and I actually find it to be relaxing and therapeutic. That is, until I start sneezing and my eyes start burning and my throat starts hurting. I am a disaster! My doctor has advised against taking any allergy medications right now, so I've become close friends with saline nasal spray and a family pack of Kleenex. My coworkers have even stopped saying "bless you" when I sneeze, because that's just too many blessings for one person.

3. Me vs. craigslist. I have had 3 perfect dressers slip through my fingers in the past two weeks. I am like a hungry dresser predator, pouncing on these postings the instant I see them, but they keep getting away! One woman even said hers was mine for the taking (for just $25!) and that I should call her to arrange pickup... but she didn't answer the 3 times we called that day. The next day I finally got ahold of her, and she said she didn't get the calls because her phone was on vibrate and she sold it to someone else in the meantime. Gah! So close! I guess I might need to pursue a Plan B, because of my next losing battle...

4. Me vs. time. My due date is just 10 weeks away! We are so excited to meet our little girl face to face and to nibble on her tiny toes, but I am starting to get antsy about everything there is to do before that day comes. Frankly, it's not the actual nursery/parenting preparation that is keeping me up at night -- it's kitchen and work projects that are weighing heavily on my mind! I have three BIG projects that need to be buttoned up at work before I go on maternity leave, each with a million details that my pregnant brain is having a hard time corralling. The recent progress on the kitchen has been very encouraging, but there's still so much left to do and at this stage we are reliant upon other people's schedules to move forward.

I hope I'm not ruining anyone's day with my complaining about such petty little things, but after getting all giddy and excited over grass growing earlier this week I figured I needed to balance things out a bit!

So how are you guys doing? Are you dealing with stink bugs? Scoring (or losing) any great treasures on craigslist? Tell me about your little battles!

PS - There's one more day to enter the photo print giveaway from Paripassu!!! Get your hurry on!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... so I took benedryl when I was pregnant and it helped my allergies a lot! My Dr. gave me the a-ok and it was in my document list of acceptable medications from the hospital. I can't believe you are getting so close to the end. 3 weeks from where you are, I delivered!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cara linaJune 20, 2011

    Gorgeous wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!